April showers...

...Bring May flowers!
...and that's this month's challenge at the Crafter's Companion USA challenge blog :)
I'm very happy to be guest designer this month and here is the project I am sharing with you.
It started with an idea...I love my yard when it rains. First, let me tell you, I live in Los Angeles, Ca...it doesn't rain as much here as in other parts of the country. It's wonderful when it does rain and I get to stay home the entire day! I have a sliding door and I love to watch the rain soak the yard. I've been wanting to do a page about it for a long time, but the inspiration was never there. When I was thinking about a project for the challenge, I looked at my CC stamps and this one just inspired me! It's called After the Rain.

Here's is how my project came together:
I chose a background paper and coated some of it with gesso. I used an old giftcard to spread it around:
 
Another coat of gesso, and I stamped the image when the gesso was almost dry but still wet enough to make indentations in it. You get such a pretty effect as it dries, looks almost like a rub-on. I used Tombow markers to ink my stamp.

Then, I chose a background paper for my photo (not this one, too bright):

 I colored the stamp when the gesso was completely dry.
*Word of warning*: coloring on gesso is tougher than on paper. It's not a smooth surface like paper. The texture makes it more difficult to color and erase. I used prismacolors. Not sure how markers would look. If you try it, let me know :)
 

I settled on a background, made my fabric yo yo flowers and embellished them with pretty centers. I found that I wanted to layer bits and pieces behind the photo. So I pulled out some little scraps and tags. I also cut out clouds from a patterned paper. I started playing and arranging the elements before I glued them down. Then I used my sewing machine to add texture and 'rain.'    

I added journaling to the bottom of the page. It reads: 
"I love watching the rain from the inside. I open all the curtains and watch the yard get soaked. Flowers soon follow :) Jan 21st, 2010" 

I really enjoyed being guest designer this month! I hope you learned something fun and that I inspired you to create :) 

I look forward to visiting you and enjoying your creations this month!






Comments

  1. Soooo cute!! Another reason for me to try gesso!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Karla, this is too cute and really clever too. It was fab to 'see' you over at mine the other day. :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you added this stamp to your layout. The gesso looks really cool too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your layout is so creative. I love the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

DCWV and Faber-Castell Design Memory Craft

Christmas with Clear Scraps & DCWV

Spring Fling Blog Hop